Click here to downlad a PDF of the position descripton below.
Grant Writer Wanted
SMGW seeks an experienced professional to join its development team as a Grant Writer. The individual selected will be primarily responsible for developing and writing letters of inquiry, grant proposals and applications to foundations and other grant-making organizations that persuasively communicate SMGW's mission and programs in the areas of employment training/development, housing, social services, volunteerism, and services to women, people living with HIV/AIDS, and returning citizens. Work is performed under the direction of the Development Director (DD) with the majority of work performed independently and off-site. This is a contract position with hourly compensation for an estimated 200 hours.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of three years of development-related experience, including a proven track record in grant writing
- Excellent written communication skills, including grammar and proofreading.
- Ability to seek and synthesize information and communicate in a compelling and succinct form.
- Solid understanding of budgets as they relate to proposals and grants
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently, and to incorporate or share feedback on written materials.
- Ability to set priorities and move multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to interact with various staff at all levels and be a team player.
- Proven to be detail-oriented, highly-organized, self-starting and proactive.
- High level of computer literacy required, including proficiency in Microsoft Office Word, Outlook, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat. Ability to retrieve and enter information in database.
- Experience with non-profit programming or grants related to homelessness, poverty or employment a plus.
- Ability to work from home environment, with occasional direct person contact with FT Staff as necessary.
Professional Responsibilities & Relationships
- Develop, write and submit letters of inquiry (LOIs), grant proposals/applications and reports to foundations and other grant-making organizations that persuasively communicate SMGW’s mission and program to potential funders.
- Assist Development Director in maintaining and implementing funding calendar activities, including cultivation activities to ensure timely submission of letters of inquiry (LOIs), grant proposals/applications and reports.
- Attend optional or mandated funder meetings.
- Research and identify new government, corporate, foundation and other private funding prospects. In addition to DD, engage Executive Director and Deputy Director for Program to research and solicit invitations to submit proposals.
Email resume and cover letter as attachments to Rev. Doris E. Warrell at dwarrell [at] samaritanministry.org. Use the subject line "Grant Writer Position." No phone calls please. Position open until filled.
If you are interested in volunteering to help make this work happen, read more about that here.