Position Description for Volunteer Coordinator
Full-time. The Volunteer Coordinator (VC) is responsible for the effective recruitment, orientation, placement and coordination of volunteers and interns for Samaritan Ministry. The VC not only seeks to keep all present volunteer positions filled but identifies, creates and shares new opportunities. This includes sharing those at mission partners, notably The Bishop John T. Walker School for Boys and Transitional Housing Corporation. The VC is an active member of the partner parish/school engagement team, attends Partner Committee and Partner Council meetings and is regularly engaged with partner leaders and clergy to match the time and talent of volunteers with the needs of the SMGW. The VC is also the lead organizer for special volunteer events such as the annual participant Christmas parties, and annual volunteer recognition events. The VC is the primary facilitator and instructor for our service learning classes.
Qualifications and Requirements
- At least 2 years prior experience in volunteer development and coordination.
- Bachelor's degree or the equivalent.
- Proven ability to motivate and lead others; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, participants, partner churches and schools, among others.
- Proven capacity to communicate well, orally and in writing.
- Capacity to work in a fast-paced environment, working independently on multiple projects.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Driver's license and car access.
- Experience with or involvement in the Episcopal Church or other mainline denomination is preferred but not required.
Professional Responsibilities and Relationships
- Recruits, selects, and coordinates interns and volunteers to meet the needs of the program and other aspects of the organization. This includes the application process, screening, and orientation. Provides orientation for all volunteers and interns; training is done by the appropriate supervisory/mentoring staff.
- Serves as the go-to person for all volunteers and interns, except volunteer service corps members who are overseen by the Program Director. Ensures ongoing evaluation of volunteers through their mentor-supervisors, as well as programmatic feedback on their experience overall and changes in assignment.
- Maintains, fills and creates volunteer and intern opportunities. This includes developing and updating job descriptions for volunteer positions, we well for group and one-time volunteer opportunities. It also includes creating and updating orientation, reference and training manuals in consultation with the appropriate supervisory staff.
- Cultivates and coordintes volunteer groups performing work at SMGW offices as well as service learning classes, mission trips and tours such as the "Urban Experience".
- Develops and implements plans for annual volunteer and intern recognition and appreciation, as well as possible motivational and training activities in between.
- Maintains records and reports on all volunteer and intern activities, including individual volunteers, special groups, total volunteer hours and special accomplishments. Submits an annual report of volunteer hours and activities by position and/or event.
- Coordinates the program staff schedule ith Lead Caseworkers and ensures the publication of the monthly program schedule.
- Coordinates special events, notably the participant Christmas parties, Thanksgiving donation process and, in collaboration with the ED, special staff events.
- Maintains and works with communications staff to publish on a monthly basis the "most needed" list of volunteers - and any other necessary materials.
- Represents and speaks to various groups, churches, and organizations about our volunteer program, as well as how to engage people's time and talent in meaningful ways.
- Communicates directly with Partner Representatives on volunteer engagement and participates in all Partner Committee and Council meetings. Assists as needed on Samaritan Sunday visits at Partner Parishes, visits and events with Partner Schools. Assists Partner Parish Representatives with their work in communicating and organizing members of their parishes.
- Participates in SMGW staff meetings, incliding the program team meeting and, occasionally, other teams.
- Other duties as assigned.
To apply, send a resume and cover letter explaining why you think this might be a match for you and SMGW to: The Rev. David B. Wolf, Executive Director of Samaritan Ministry of Greater Washington, at email@example.com