The Volunteer Coordinator works alongside the Volunteer Manager to support the volunteer efforts at THC and Samaritan Ministry of Greater Washington (SMGW) in all aspects of the recruitment, retention and recognition of volunteers including outreach, engagement, community building, evaluation and tracking. The person in this position will focus primarily on THC's Adopt-An-Apartment Program and SMGW's volunteer programs. Additionally, the person in this role will support with in-kind donation drives and event planning for both organizations.
Volunteer Recruitment & Management:
- Assume primary recruitment, management, orientation and, in coordination with program staff, training and evaluation at SMGW.
- Coordinates the Adopt-an Apartment program including recruitment of volunteer churches and corporations, the assembly of apartment furnishings, and communications with program staff regarding move-in logistics and client information.
- Assist with volunteer recruitment in the DC community including community and civic groups, universities and colleges, churches, and online.
- Maintain and update the volunteer database and the Volunteer Needs Calendar; distribute to appropriate staff on a weekly basis. Includes finalization and circulation of the volunteer staffing schedule for the SMGW offices.
- Assist in management of volunteers including responding to new volunteer inquiries, application process, screening, reminder notices via email and phone to volunteers for service; track volunteer attendance.
- Assist with the facilitation of monthly volunteer trainings and continuous learning opportunities. Assist in the coordination of volunteer days for all volunteer-driven activities including all youth enrichment activities and group volunteer days.
- Assist in recognition of volunteers through thank you notes, awards and personal phone calls; monitor volunteer engagement in order to develop strategies to encourage long-term volunteer commitments.
- Foster a sense of community by building relationships with volunteers, staff and THC families and SMGW participants.
- Support in telling the story of THC and SMGW by capturing and highlighting successes.
- Assist with oral presentations, making educational and promotional presentations about SMGW and THC to various audiences, but particularly to "partner" parishes, schools and other congregations with whom SMGW and THC have or might have a relationship.
Special Events and Campaigns:
- Assist with THC and SMGW events
- Coordination of SMGW Thanksgiving Food Drives, Mothers' and Fathers 'Day toiletry drives Participant Christmas Parties and other THC and SMGW in-kind drives and campaigns.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Bachelor's degree with 3 years' of relevant experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Volunteer or Service Learning Experience a plus
- AmeriCorps and Peace Corps Alums encouraged to apply
- Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds and faith based communities desired
- Detail oriented and organized with the ability to work independently and to collaborate effectively as part of an enthusiastic, dedicated team committed to THC's mission
- A passion for social justice including but not limited to housing and economic equity
- Flexible work schedule including some evening and weekend hours
- Valid driver's license a plus
This is an exciting and integral role to two organizations that support homeless and formerly homeless individuals and families. We are looking for a solid team member to join our energetic and driven team!
How to apply:
Please send resume, cover letter, and 3 references via email to email@example.com with "Volunteer Coordinator" in the subject line.